Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Burning Skin.


Last week, I went to see my doctor, complaining about skin irritation that had started to spread as the result of a shot that I'd received the previous week.  Initially, the irritation was only on my right butt cheek and groin area.  My doctor gave me an examination, had me fill out a bunch of survey questions and told me simply to apply some hydrocortisone and the problem should go away in about a week or so.  
"If this doesn't work," he said.  "Call me and we'll figure out what our next step should be." 
Last night, I awoke frantically scratching and clawing at my upper arms.  Even before I removed my shirt, I could feel the small red bumps, which appeared to be taking over the upper part of my body.  Trying not to panic at 4 o'clock in the morning, I calmed down enough to allow myself to fall back so sleep--promising then to call my doctor in the morning.  This morning, after I'd gotten out of the shower, I inspected my upper body and confirmed what I'd felt while in bed.  My chest, shoulders, arms and stomach were now covered with small red bumps.
And they itched like hell!   
I stood in front of the mirror, afraid to move but at the same time afraid to look away.  It looked as if I had measles or chicken pox.  When I could no longer bear to look at myself in the mirror, I ran into the bedroom and called my doctor.  
I tried to remain calm while I spoke with the nurse and described to her how the allergic reaction had now spread from the lower part of my body to the upper region. 
"Are you taking any other medications?" The nurse asked.  When I told her no, she placed me on hold while she went to find my doctor.  Minutes later, she was back on the line.  
"Okay," she said, sounding a bit out of breath.  "The doctor wants you to stop applying the hydrocortisone and instead start applying calamine lotion to stop the itch.  If the rash continues to spread, we'll have you come in on Monday." 
Monday?!  What was I supposed to do until then?  I understood the Thanksgiving holiday was coming and sure, I was aware that the office would be closed but--here I was trying desperately not to scratch my outer layer of skin and now the nurse was telling me that I would have to wait until Monday before I could see the doctor.  
ARGH!

No comments: