Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Who needs an education?







For as long as I can remember, I've always had a fond relationship with public libraries.  I can still recall receiving my first library card to the W. Walworth Harrison Public Library in Greenville, Texas in 1982.  I think it was the librarian telling me, as she put the card in my young hands that, with [that] card, I could come, read and check out any of the books that were on the shelves.  
And boy did I?!  I love the fact that a public library is one of the few public places where you're supposed to be quiet, where you're surrounded by books and you're in the company of others who love reading and books as much as you do.  
There are some beautiful libraries in San Diego.   Some of the branches, while older than others, are more comfortable to be in.   The University Heights branch, where my bike wheel was stolen, while its a small branch, is very quiet and soothing.   Then there are those, such as the Mission Valley branch, whose large open areas and ample lighting provide the perfect atmosphere for getting lost in a good book, a great magazine or--if you're like me,  pillaging through the archives of whatever I can think of.   The Coronado and Scripps Ranch branches are so beautiful and well worth visiting.  
Now having written all of that, one can only imagine my frustration and disappointment with the public library in City Heights.  The building is fairly new and the accommodations are excellent.  The building sits in the heart of City Heights and is an anchor for the Performing Arts complex.  The library is also a quick bike ride or bus trip away from Will's house.  It's also where I've spent a few afternoons.  This evening, sitting at one of the partitioned tables, I noticed all of the graffiti which was scrawled on just about everything!  But it was this one particular table which caught my eye and I knew I had to photograph it.  
If there's ever been any doubt that my wanting to be a teacher wasn't a good idea, it was squashed after reading what some kid had written.  And in the library of all places.
Anyone who reads dis [sic] shit is a assholel [sic]!
I can't get back in school fast enough.  



No comments: