Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bums.


Arriving almost 15 minutes early for my doctor's appointment, I was sitting outside in the courtyard, smoking a cigarette before going in to meet Dr. Morris.  Keeping my eye on the time while at the same time, puffing on the Newport, I eyed the man coming towards me.  I already knew what he wanted.   In fact, I was ready with my response as soon as the words came out of his mouth.  Check out this little exchange.
"Say bro,"  he started. "You have another cigarette on you?" 
See!  I knew that's what he wanted.  What's more, I hate being called 'bro' by anyone, but it's usually vagrants who like to use that slang-ish term of endearment.
"No, man.  This is it."  I said, holding the half-smoked cigarette up for him to inspect.  With a loud huff, he walked inside the medical building.  
Only to return a few seconds later.  
"Well, could you save some of it for me?" The bum asked.  What was wrong with this dude?   From my seat, I eyed him and began, "I'd kinda like to enjoy this smoke by myself." 
But that wasn't enough for him.  Frustrated that I wasn't willing to share my cigarette--and no, it wasn't the last one, but I wasn't telling him that-- the scraggly vagrant spat one last remark at me.  
"That's okay," he began.  "God hates greedy people."  He said that and disappeared around the building.   
So now, I'm greedy?  Who would've thought?

No comments: