Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Relief and Comfort.


After blogging about the nasty rash that had developed all over my body, I was finally able to get back to my doctor for another follow up.  As I'd mentioned, I was still covered in small red bumps which itched and burned, usually with me scratching and clawing at my arms.  
"Oh wow, this has indeed spread."  My doctor told me after inspecting my shirtless torso.  "But I'm not sure if it was a reaction to the shot or if it's something else."  He began naming off a few other possibilities, using medical terms that I had never heard of.  I continued to sit there, nodding my head and hoping that he would start writing out some sort of prescription.  
While he was scribbling on his notepad, the doctor assured me that it would all go away in a couple of days.  With strict instructions and a couple of prescriptions in hand, I left his office, promising to follow up with him in a few days.  
Standing outside of CVS, waiting for my prescriptions to be filled, I received a phone call from John.  
"I'm heading home soon in case you were still thinking of stopping by."  He said.  Two days ago, John and I spoke on the phone and I told him that I would be in the neighborhood and could stop by if he was at home.  
"As a matter of fact," I began.  "I'm still on this side of town, picking up some medicine.  I can stop by afterwards." 
"PILLS!" He exclaimed in that tone of voice that, to this day, always makes me break out into a loud laugh.  
I hung out at Number 3 for about an hour, catching up on chit chat with John while feasting on a bowl of his infamous chili.  "I had a bunch of ground turkey here, so I used turkey instead of beef," he told me.  Miss Lester circled the dining room table, going back and forth between the two of us.  Later, we crammed my bike into the trunk of John's car, stopped for coffee then drove me back to City Heights.  
It was all so comfortable and familiar.  And I enjoyed every moment of it.  

No comments: