Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Exes and Hoes.



This past weekend, I was in contact with my three exes.  Through phone calls, text messages and visits, I was reminded of three men of whom I'd had previous relationships with.  While I like to think that they all ended on somewhat civil terms, I had to admit, even I was surprised when I communicated with each one of them.
I spoke on the phone with John on both Thursday and Friday.  On Thursday afternoon, I met him at Number 3 to do a clean-up job for the two unoccupied units in his building.  It was fun hanging out at the old building, the work was easy, I got to be with Miss Lester and I got paid for my work.  
Working a catering gig on Saturday night, I began receiving text messages from Raymond.  I couldn't respond to them immediately, but when there was a lull in the job, I would grab my phone and read the messages.  He was looking to hookup.  That was the farthest thing from my mind.
 I texted back to him.   Even after sending text messages back and forth, with me explaining that I would be downtown until well after 1 in the morning, Raymond and I continued our conversation of text messages, which finally ended only after I told him that I was in bed.  This was around 3 in the morning!
Dutch called on Sunday morning.   He and I spoke earlier in the week about me taking some Christmas photos for him.  Half asleep, I mumbled Hello into the phone.
"Come take my pictures." Dutch said.  "Lunch will be on me. I have this 2 for 1 coupon so I could take you to lunch afterwards."  It was after 11 o'clock Sunday morning and I was still in bed.  I didn't get to bed until almost 4 o'clock, after working a party downtown that ran until well after midnight.  I caught the last bus leaving downtown, heading to City Heights where I had to ride my bike the rest of the way back to Will's house.  Exhausted, I'd slept until shortly before the Dutch called.  He could hear the sleepiness in my voice.  
"You're still asleep and I'm hungry," he said.  "I'm going to eat.  Call me once you're up."  I told him that I would, hung up and went back to sleep.  
Before I sat down to write this entry, I started thinking about the my friendship with each one of my exes.  Even though the relationships soured, I like to think that--even at the moments when each one was over, I would still try to maintain a somewhat decent friendship with each.   And I have always been happy with that.  What was odd initially was the fact that, I still remained in contact with Dutch--even while I dated Raymond.  And I remained in contact with Raymond--while I was dating John.  The three men have never met one another to my knowledge, but they do know of the others.  
Monday evening, while waiting for the bus in City Heights, I received a phone call from Raymond.  We talked about his weekend text messages and I expressed my distaste for what he was asking of me.  
"The text messages," I began.  "I didn't like them. I don't like that." 
"I wasn't aware that they were making you uncomfortable and I apologize." Raymond responded. 
"I'm all for hanging out, going to a movie or even getting together for dinner, but there's no going back.  I don't want to do that and I know you can respect my opinion on this." 
"Yeah.  Sure.  And I'm sorry about that." 
By the time the bus arrived, I had ended my phone conversation with Raymond and felt good about stating my feelings.  I like the friendships that I have with my exes, but they're just that.  Friendships.  


No comments: