Monday, September 22, 2008

Obsessing about Facebook.


Back in May...
As the Spring semester was winding down, one of my classmates from City, Matt threw a party at his house.  Everyone from our Honors Core classes showed up, in addition to some of Matt's friends.  The party was a blast and it was good for all of us to unwind and talk about how we all were looking forward to the upcoming summer months.  This also was the chance for some of us to see friends from the fall semester classes in addition to biding a farewell to some who were transferring on to four-year universities.  
It was at this party, while talking to a friend, Tiffani that I would get reacquainted with Facebook.  She and I were talking about exchanging photos and how to get in contact with each other.
"I know," she suggested. " Give me your Facebook and I'll send it there."  Without giving it a second thought--I'd brought and smoked a lot of pot on this evening, I gave her the link.
The next day, I realized that while I did indeed have a profile on the networking site, I didn't have any pictures, friends or any of the cool things that most users of Facebook have on their pages.  In fact, I couldn't recall anything that was on mine, other than the mere basics.  I figured I was supposed to have a profile on the site--just in case it ever came up.  Much like it had on this evening.  I made a mental note to one day, sit down and actually devote some time to building the profile.  This was around the time, mind you, that I was also saying that I was going to create a new blog (this one)--whenever I got around to it.  
Fast forward to this week...
I received an email, alerting me that Tiffani, whom I talked to at the party was requesting to add me to her friends' list.  I accepted immediately.  From there, I set about checking out her profile and seeing her friends' list, while at the same time, starting to work on my profile.  I realized that quite a few of my old classmates from last year all had profiles on Facebook!  Suddenly, I was sending out friend requests and updating my status.  I was writing on my friends' walls.  I was searching for people that might possibly have a profile and looking for new people to network with.  
Over the past two days, I'd become a mad man; obsessed with my Facebook page.  I've brought my old classmates up to date about what's been going on with me since I dropped out of school this semester.  I've emailed two buddies who are studying abroad in Argentina.  I'm waiting for a friend in Chicago to add me to her friends' list.  And I've joined a few celebrity groups.  
I love Facebook!  Now, in addition to this blog and my many other profiles on other sites, I have my Facebook profile, which I plan to nurture much like I do the others.  Once I figure out how, I intend to link that profile to this blog. 
As soon as I finish this post, I'll switch to my profile there--just to see if I've missed anything during my time away from it.  Whoever reads this, if you're on Facebook; look me up and let's link each other.
I am indeed a man obsessed.

No comments: