Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sunday Grilling


The barbecue grill belongs to the condo Homeowners Association and while it's a beautiful piece of equipment, in the almost two years since it was purchased, the grill has only been used a few times.  Earlier this afternoon, John and I decided that we would grill later in the evening.  It was hot and humid outside but we knew that a few hours later, it would be perfect for grilling.
"We can have our dinner outside too," I added to the suggestion.  We started discussing the details and making out a shopping list.  
"You think maybe Rich would want to join us?"  John asked.  Rich was one of our dearest friends.  A pleasure to be around and a fantastic cook (the man's a chef--really), our friend Rich would certainly be welcome.  He, unfortunately, wasn't able to make it. 
I took off for Ralph's and Trader Joe's to get the items that we would need.  We set a tentative date for 7 o'clock table time and I planned to be eating by then.  While in the grocery store, I found myself thinking about the past week.  Remember, John and I decided that we would go ahead and end our relationship.  And even though we had a great time together at the beach yesterday, it was becoming more and more my reality that we wouldn't be together for too much longer.  Neither one of us had mentioned the topic of breaking up since, but then I kinda figure, there really wasn't much else that needed  to be said.  
Back home, we set about assigning duties; I would be in charge of the indoor items (cooking steak fries, preparing the hamburgers) and John would be responsible for the outdoor items (the actual grilling).  As an added treat, I even baked some chocolate chip cookies!  
The burgers turned out great!  Along with the steak fries, John grilled portobello mushrooms and zucchini--which we passed over in favor of the massive burgers and fries.  The courtyard of our building was nicely lit; the landscaping plus the lighting (all John's doing) made for a beautiful evening outdoors.  
So there we were.  After a pleasant Saturday afternoon at Black's and a nice Sunday evening here at home, I'd say this was a break that we both needed.   Just as I'd mentioned in the previous entry, this evening will be another that I'll remember even more given that it's one of our last few summer evenings together.

No comments: