Friday, August 1, 2008

Smoking the scholarship money.


Late yesterday afternoon, I got an email from the Honors Office at City college.  I was the recipient of a Presidential Scholarship.  And there was money attached to it.  Almost instantly, the only thing I could thing of was exactly which president was handing me a scholarship.   As it turns out, it was the school's president.  I had received it, along with some other students whom I'm friends with.  
 I can't begin to tell you how fortunate that was.   Hell, I've been broke for what seems like years now.  So you can imagine, in my mind, this scholarship money--regardless of how much it actually was, it was a good as spent.  And I didn't even have it yet! 
Seeing as it was late in the day, I knew the office where I was supposed to pick it up was closed.  So, I made plans to ride my bike down to the campus first thing this morning.  First thing in the morning turned out to be closer to eleven.   By the time I left the Associated Students office, I had a certificate and check in hand.  
One hundred and fifty dollars.  
Instantly, I started calculating.  Donovan's birthday was Monday and seeing as there would be no way I could get a gift in the mail and to him by then.  Cash for that.  Twenty bucks for a hair cut and before I knew it, according my calculations--while standing in front of the bike rack, by the time I was finished, I would be broke again.  
In addition to Donovan's cut of the free money, I was planning to buy some pot as well.   Hooray---POT!  I figured, if I'm going to be broke, starting the break up process, all while trying each and every day to keep it all together, I was going to be stoned while doing it.  

No comments: