Monday, August 4, 2008

dad's Birthday


Whenever Donovan and I address each other, we call the other dad.  Well, actually that's one of those things that I started and really he had no choice but to go along with it.  It really comes through whenever we speak to the other on the phone.  
"Hey Dad," Donovan begins once he's on the phone.  I follow his greeting with my very own.  Sounding almost like an echo of the other, Donovan will hear my reply, "Hey dad."  I've even noticed that in the last email that I'd sent him, it began with those same two words:  Hey dad. 
Today was dad's birthday.  More accurately, it was Donovan's birthday.  He turned 12.  
To this day, Lucy and I both find ourselves tripping out on the fact that he's grown so fast.  Last year, I was lucky enough to be able to be with him in Fort Worth; this year, we would have to celebrate by phone.   Lucy took the day off work and she, along with Donovan, his grandmother and his cousin were going out for a lunch of all-you-can-eat pizza.    I called Donovan as soon as I woke up--which in Fort Worth was 10 o'clock.
"Happy Birthday, dad!"  I yelled into my cell.  I'm sure he could hear the happiness in my voice.  "How's your birthday, son?" 
He was excited because his Granny was going to get him some new Chuck Taylors.   "Just like the ones you have," he said.  "Except they're completely black."  
I told him that I was sorry that I couldn't be with him for his birthday, but that John and I certainly wished either he could be here or that I could be there.  Donovan certainly sounded excited about his big day.  Me, I was longing to be with there with him.  He would, instead, have to settle for my footing the bill for his all-you-can-eat pizza lunch.  
The last time Donovan and I were together was in March.  He returned to San Diego to spend his Spring Break with John and me.  Like him, I was on Spring Break from school and we were able to have a fantastic time together.  He took an immediately liking to John and although initially he was terrified of Miss Lester, within two days, he was in love with the dog.  He's getting older, I have to remind myself and even though to me, he will always be the rambunctious two year old that always kept Lucy and I on our toes.  
Happy Birthday, dad.  

Dad

No comments: