Friday, July 18, 2008

Relax. It's only Pride.

The music.  The parties. The outrageous cover charges. 
The sex.  The drugs.  And don't forget the STDs.  
That's right, it's Gay Pride 2008 in San Diego this weekend.  The only time of year when the word DIVERSITY seems to be the mot du jour.   And already, I'm over it.
Sometimes it seems like I'm the only gay man in San Diego who doesn't get all caught up in pride.  And maybe I am, but the way I see, I don't need a parade to remind me that I'm attracted to men.  Also, with so many men shying away from what it means to be gay--let alone being labeled as gay, I can't help but wonder if celebrating pride weekend has become a bit redundant.  Thinking about that while I sit here typing this entry, it should come as no surprise that I'm sitting here at home, on a Friday night--alone.  Well actually, Miss Lester is sitting in the chair to my left, curled up asleep.   John has a friend visiting from Seattle and I'm guessing the two of them strolled over to University Avenue to take in all the visiting gays & lesbians.  
Originally, I'd planned to spend this evening at the movies--the fact that I'd even thought about going to the movies, is saying a lot.  But instead, I took my time getting showered and dressed, called Lucy to chat with her for a while then decided, only then, that I would stroll out of the building in search of something for dinner.  
What would normally have been a quiet stroll on a lovely evening, turned into my wishing that Chipotle was closer to my house or that I would have ridden my bike.   Each restaurant, bar and frozen yogurt place that I passed was packed--some with lines that wrapped around their buildings.   It was crazy!
Nevertheless, I did make it to my destination--and got cruised and flirted with once before I got there.  

No comments: