Friday, July 25, 2008

Mass Confusion.




Finally!  The last Friday of the month.  After waiting for what seemed like forever, it's finally here.   Lately, I've started to look forward to the last Friday of each month for one reason.  
On the last Friday of each month, around 7 o'clock, a large group of people meet up with their bicycles and ride through San Diego.  As soon as the sun sets we plot our course and all at once the large mass of people--all on bicycles, take over the streets.  
I'd seen the group quite a few times in the past, but didn't know who or what they were.  All I knew was there was this large mass of people riding their bikes, stopping traffic and having a good time.  At first glance, I suspected that it was some kind of night parade.  Or maybe a group who'd gotten together to protest about the high cost of gas.  I even thought that they were doing something political.  But whatever it was, I wanted to know who they were.  My neighbors and I tried to figure it out but we came up with nothing.    
Finally, last month while at the neighborhood liquor store, I'd noticed a lot of people on bikes, heading towards Balboa Park.  
"They ride tonight!" I exclaimed.  At that moment, I decided that I would ride with them.  
Critical Mass isn't the only bicycle group that converges on the last Friday here in San Diego. In fact, there are quite a few groups that ride.  And now I would be a part of it!  
This evening would be my second time riding with the group.  
Around 8:30, with everyone trying to figure out where we would ride, we set out for downtown San Diego. You have to imagine downtown San Diego on a Friday night.   Comic-Con was going on at the convention center--not to mention, the crowd of people in the Gaslamp District; what better place for us to ride!  
Just as sunset gave way to nightfall, a large mass of cyclists left Balboa Park and shot down Sixth Avenue towards downtown.  Hooting & hollering, we all made our way down the gradual decline of Sixth, picking up speed along the way.  Taking up both southbound lanes, we  rolled down the street, ringing our bells, blowing whistles and waving to everyone that lined the sidewalks of Bankers Hill.  It was freakin' awesome!  
Of course the people in cars were pissed off!  Not only were we able to hold up traffic, but the SDPD provided us with a few cops to make sure none of the motorists tried to break up our group.  I also think they were the ones who changed the traffic lights for us as well.  
The people strolling through the Gaslamp, down near Petco Park stopped and cheered.  Some people asked why were we riding.  Some people simply pointed while others snapped pictures.  When we finally turned onto Harbor Drive in front of the San Diego Convention Center, all the people leaving Comic-Con started cheering.  Funny thing was, they had absolutely no clue why they were cheering, but they did.  Finally working our way along Harbor Drive and the waterfront of downtown San Diego, we rode towards the airport, stopping traffic everywhere we went.  Imagine if you were walking or driving then all of a sudden over 500 people all on bikes started heading towards you.  
That's how we looked.  
After a series of U-turns and double backs, the group finally decided to head back towards Balboa Park and the neighborhoods uptown.  We'd ridden over 10 miles--all in under two and a half hours!  Passing through the park, many bikers trailed off.  Me, I continued on because it was just a matter of time before Critical Mass would be passing my building. Finally, in Hillcrest, the congregation made one last pit stop. 
At the liquor store, I snapped this last picture, said a few good byes and then headed for home.  Already, even as I sit here blogging about it, I'm looking forward to the next bike ride at the end of August. 


No comments: