Friday, October 10, 2008

Late night at Lestat's.



After the long, event filled day that I had today, it came as a surprise that I was still wired up once I arrived back at Will's house around 7:30 this evening.  I spent the day, running around--tending to a bunch of small errands in  Hillcrest.  All in anticipation for the job fair that was going on downtown.  
The paycheck from the last catering gig that I'd worked arrived at John's house yesterday and this morning started with me riding my bike from City Heights to Hillcrest.  From there, a brief stop in Buffalo Exchange then to North Park for a haircut.  I needed to get all of this, plus a few small errands in between, all completed by noon.  Just in time to catch bus in order to get downtown to the job fair.  
And for once, everything went according to plans and on schedule.  
When I arrived downtown, I was met with a line of close to 200 people, all for the job fair.  A new luxury boutique hotel was opening downtown and apparently, everyone had seen the same ad on craigslist, talking about the hiring process that was going on today.  The line stretched the length of the city block!  Only when the line was moved across the street and out of the glaring sun, did I finally settle in--realizing that I would be there for a few hours.  
Four hours later and meeting briefly with a guy who I'm pretty sure I didn't leave an impression on, I left downtown feeling as if I'd wasted a whole day.  Once I finally left Hillcrest, stopped for dinner in City Heights then returned to Will's house--I decided that I would spend the later part of the evening, sipping coffee and hanging out at Lestat's.  I didn't want to be at Will's and Lestat's was open 24hours, so why not, right? 
I caught the last bus that runs through this part of Fairmount Avenue and rode my bike the rest of the way to Normal Heights.  Even at close to midnight, Lestat's was full of people; insomniacs, students and people who just wanted coffee at this hour.  I was tired of thinking about my problems.   I was tired of feeling sorry for myself.  I was tired of trying to get over the breakup.  And I was tired of being at Will's.  
I stayed at Lestat's until almost 8 o'clock the following morning.  Only when Normal Heights seemed to wake from its sleep and the late night staff at Lestat's was starting to clock out, did I decide to finally ride my bike back to City Heights.  Still wired from the many cups of Kenyan coffee, I packed my things and left.  

No comments: